Sunday, October 26, 2008

Preacher's Rock

County: Lumpkin
Distance: 3.0 miles roundtrip
Elevation: 3,568
Difficulty: Moderate
Markings: Good - White Blaze

On October 25, 2008 my family and I went up to Preacher's Rock. The other chicks went up about 3 weeks ago...I was supposed to go, too, but work got in the way. I hate when that happens! I was able to get my husband, kids, and dog to go to Preacher's Rock with me, so that was pretty cool.

Preacher's Rock is on the Georgia portion of the Appalachian Trail (AT), and is accessible from Woody Gap. I just read on a forum post that some think Woody Gap is one of the windiest places in the world. They have obviously never lived in Missouri. Even getting to Woody Gap, which is between Dahlonega and Suches, is full of "ooo's and ah's". There are views galore of pretty much anything south of the area before you even step out of the car.

This is a quick 1.5 mile hike and it took my family about 45 minutes to hike in, even with my husband's two "surgically enhanced" knees...praise the Lord for walking sticks! It's an easy hike until you get to the last quarter mile, which is full of switchbacks, steps, and rocks--and where you do most of the climb. Once you reach the rock, however, it's well worth the effort. Even the close mountains look small at this height (an elevation of about 3582). This makes it just shy of 500 feet in that mile and a half.

The rock itself is big and wide...smooth enough that I didn't want to look over the edge. We're assuming it's called Preacher's Rock because the world is your audience from this vantage. While we were there, a couple and their friend from Manchester, England walked up in street attire. They came 7,000 miles for the view and were happy for it.

Hiking out is even faster...just a bit over 35 minutes with my oldest son leading our group. We're thinking he was either hungry or in need of the restroom at the pace he was keeping. One thing I learned on this trail--although I really loved having Sable, our German Shepherd, with us, it's really not the right place. Most of the trails in North Georgia are very well-traveled and you just have to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Just not a doggie's world. I'll have to check out that book about dog-friendly trails.

Pura Vida,
Bubbles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How would you get to Preachers Rock from Walmart?